« Home | Found in today's Washington Times » | Having solved all other problems in Newfane, VT... » | This week's Virginia Blog Carnival » | Last Ball at UHall » | One Year Blogiversary! » | Finger-point first, ask questions later » | Commonwealth College Republicans » | This week's Virginia Blog Carnival » | Sad News » | Endorsements for this years student elections »

March 09, 2006

Who's afraid?

In recent weeks, the guys at Raising Kaine and Virginia Centrist have been calling James Webb a "nightmare" for George Allen and Republicans, in particular, this blurb today. First, I'll state that I am not going to count my chickens before they hatch; though I think that George Allen can and will win this election, I'm not going to call him anyone's nightmare or claim to know for certain that Allen will be Virginia's junior senator come 2007. That being said, I do not think that Republicans have any fear over whether Democrats choose James Webb instead of Harris Miller to contest George Allen for his seat as senator. Either way, a race will have to be run and won. It is no secret that Republicans prefer Harris Miller to James Webb, but Republicans will not go running or go into a panic if James Webb gets the nod.

I suspect that Lowell and VC are mostly looking to energize the base. Maybe it will be effective, but from this side of the aisle, I must say that they sound rather foolish calling Webb a "nightmare" to Allen. Want to Raise Webb? All I can say is bring it on. This race will not be won on abortion, on the War in Iraq, or even President Bush. It will come down to the two candidates, just as every race ultimately does, and George Allen has proven that he can campaign with the best of them.